Monday, May 6, 2013

Spring has arrived!

As I mentioned in a previous post, I was working on a quilt.  I focused on my purple & lime green project that is inspired by the tutorial from Film In The Fridge.  This is a picture of the process when I was at the coast.
purple & lime project

The block size I decided on was 16" square.  The results turned out amazingly well.
Purple & Lime top


I also selected this project for my March project to "finish" for the Fiber of All Sorts promotion of "A Lovely Year of Finishes" that also has a flickr group.  I have a border idea to go with the project but that is a surprise for later in the year.

APRIL

Then April arrived and I had a special project I had a deadline to complete, my round robin row for Brookquilt.  Her request was saucy colors with a kona black solid.  I LOVE black, I just never buy solids.  Yes, I am one of THOSE weird quilters who never has solids.

Nonetheless, I started with this group of fabrics.
fabric selection
March/April Strip Finished
I also entered this in to the April "finish" project.  I was inspired by a picture in a quilt book, a strata leaf.

2 strata leaves
The result (left) emerged from experimenting with strip piecing, free-form shapes of the leaves, and wonky sewing back together.

Of course you can't waste anything.  I made the remaining blocks from the leftover strips and solid block to create the beautiful row (right).

The prints I used in the middle blocks created a really fun "confetti" like effect.  The print has a large scale and a small scale print of the same mod-like flowers.  The colors were really fun, bright, and up my alley

I really enjoyed making this row.






A preview of what the quilt is starting to look like:
Shelley's quilt

Have a splendid May!!!  More to come!

No comments: