Friday, July 18, 2008

Falafel

I was watching Rachel Ray on TV . . . I got an hour off work early. Falafel. What is it? (It is a fried ball or patty made from spiced fava beans and/or chickpeas.) How do you pronounce it? To me, sounds like you are almost saying, "fill-awful."

Anyhow, interesting that Rachel Ray was making falafel BURGERS. Hmm, me being the anti-beef eater, I paid attention.
  • 16 oz. can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans.
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • 3 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon coriander
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Oil for frying
Pretty much mash all the ingredients together, the flour will help it stick together while frying it. Make it into good size patties, and viola, vegetarian burger.

Most people put the fried falafel in a pita with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc. and drizzle tahini sauce over the top.

No comments: