The year: 2003. I moved back to Pendleton, OR for a job with the tribes when I started this project. I followed the book, "The Bargello Quilt Book," by Piecemakers that my mom gave me because she somehow ended up with two. The book is only 12 pages, so its more like a deluxe pamphlet. The book says to cut my strips 2" and like my mom said, it would not create a curved effect as well as 1.5" strips. Nonetheless, I started this project with 2" strips, total of 20 strips. So I sewed two units and got started.
Then I was interrupted by a change in jobs and decided to move to Walla Walla, WA. My project was stowed away until last year. I went to a girlfriend's house and this bargello was my project to work on since I was feeling uninspired by another project I have not finished with cats. Many, many yards of thread and seam ripping, I was able to finish the body. I'm also a lazy strip cutter sometimes, so I had to fix a curve, in the end, it works.
I could make it bigger, but I have no clue where the fabric went for a couple of the strips. The book emphasized the mirror, swag effect, while I chose to do the random look. I am really glad how the top looked, going with the zen, I was "finished." I used the watermelon and berries fabric as 8" border as I contemplate when I would like to quilt it.