Monday, August 27, 2012

Stripper Project: French Rose Inspired

Current Project: Stripper Quilt

Excited for my new project that will take a year to participate in.  It is similar to a round robin, but instead of adding rows to a base block/center block, you add a strip of row blocks.

To start, I must figure out what I want my quilt to be, or somewhat what I would prefer to be since other people will be making the blocks for the rest of the quilt.  Nothing like TEAMWORK!

Step 3: Leaves and 1st layer sewn down
My Strip has the parameters of using black & white prints (can be used anywhere) with bright colors (one, two, in combination, etc.).  Why have restrictions?  :-)  My base strip is using the "french rose" pattern concept with a little slicing/sewing to make them a little more interesting.  If you are interested in making these, here are the steps:

Step 1: Determine your background block size.  I went with 9" because I wanted to use a daisy pre-print fabric my mom gave me years ago with enough space around to decide if it needs sashing or not.  So I will have a variety of black/white prints for the background.

Step 4: Layer 2
Step 2: Cutting shapes for each layer.  I free-formed my leaves from lime/bright green prints.  To know the placement of the leaves, I had to cut my first large daisy.  I pinned the leaves in place, some have 3, or 2, or none.  I'm not picky since they will be rearranged in the end.

Step 5: Layer 3, sliced
Step 3: Sew around the edges with a shorter stitch length since this will be a raw-edge applique block.  Some people use fusible webbing on the back to attach to the backing too.  I did not.  It's up to you depending on a variety of factors.  Trim the back as needed (helps with bulk and heaviness).

Step 6: Sliced block
Step 4: Cut random shape for layer 2.  I want the colors to be complimentary to the original flower color scheme, so I went with pink for this lovely purple.  I found a project to use valentine's fabric for!  Sew edges, trim back as needed.

 Step 5: Cut random shape for layer 3.  Sew edges and trim back as needed.


Step 6: Slice your quilt block in half (4.5" for my blocks) going both directions.

Step 7: Mix up your quarters how you want, sew back together.

Step 7: Scrambled & Sewn Back Together
With my blocks, I wanted to mix up the backgrounds to create a 4-patch kind of look, PLUS mix up the layer 1 color.  I soon realized that I have to make a lot more blocks to make the backgrounds mix up more.  I was not paying attention to the size of the flower quarters.  Each block will be uniquely different.  :-)  The 3 colors of layer 1 will help keep it cohesive, there is a light/dark of each of the 3 colors creates a nice variation.

2 blocks
This would be a lot of fun to mix all kinds of prints and colors.



No comments: