Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Sundress Awesomeness

I love sundresses. I love that I can go to work in a sundress and it's appropriate.

I was at JoAnn's to see what they had on sale a couple of months back. I noticed that they had the ready made smocking sundress for 50% off, and it was a black & white print. I bought 1 1/2 yards just in case and thought of a nice project for the weekend.

I'm all about easy. It has to be interesting, but easy.

My design idea: make a tiered black & white sundress.
The plan: cut off the skirt to use later. Select black & white fabrics. Cut

random large strips of fabric, around 8 inches, each tier is different because I don't do that much planning.

With smocking at the bust, you know it'll be form fitting in that area, but my hip area is way larger. I am definitely a pear shape. So I put little pleats along the bottom of the smocking to create a more flowy skirt of the dress.

Next, sew a fabric strip to the bottom. Then sew another. Than ANOTHER! I have 5 tiers, some being more white on black, or black with white, but I also incorporated my "cheater" fabric that looks like rows of black & white fabrics sewn in rows but going vertical. I used the leftover fabric to make wide straps. Sew up the ONE seam for the back and put in a shirttail hem.

Sundress project completed in 1 hour.

I have wore this dress to the Tri-Cities Quilt Show, got 4 compliments. Wore the dress to the Sumpter Flea Market and 3 compliments. Wore to a day of yard saling last week (plus some shopping) and I got 6 compliments!

I hope you can make one too.

No comments: