Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Flying Geese Quilt

I was inspired by a quilt made by Freckled Whimsy, originally I found the tutorial on Moda Bake Shop.  Of course, I had to be different.  I decided to do Aquas as the "geese" pieces, with a white-on-white for the backgrounds.
Aqua Sewing
Sewing the "geese" into blocks
There is a "fast flying geese method" for these blocks on the tutorial.  It saves a lot of issues with bias stretch on the triangle.  However, I am not the most accurate person, so my points did not come out on all of them.  I think I also forgot to measure each step to ensure a 1/4" space where the points will be.  Nonetheless, it's about the process, right?

Aqua In Progress
Design board process
I spent a day at a girlfriend's house to have a "sew day."  She has a great design board that helped me put the last half of the blocks together.  I wanted to disperse the more solid aqua colors throughout the quilt so it was becoming a challenge towards the end.  I don't plan how big these quilts get, so when I run out of my original starting pieces, it's done.  Yep, I go with the flow.  I am one of "those" people.

Now that everything is sewn together, now I contemplate putting a border around the quilt . . . or not.

No comments: